Mold is present in most homes and around us, and possibly in the air, we breathe. Mold plays a critical role in the process of natural decay. If mold
Mold is present in most homes and around us, and possibly in the air, we breathe. Mold plays a critical role in the process of natural decay. If mold is allowed to grow inside a home unchecked, it will cause structural damage and affect your health seriously.
Signs that You Have Mold in Your Home
You may not know early enough that you have mold lurking within your home. However, look out for the following signs; as soon as you see any of them, know that mold is already in your home:
- Water Leaks – Water leaks will cause water damage that will result in the perfect conditions that mold needs to grow.
- Water Damage – If there is water damage in your home, the chances are that you have mold except you fix the water damage as early as possible.
- Humidity – When the moisture in the air in the home, mold spores have the perfect condition to grow.
- Strange Smell – If your home starts to smell musty or moldy, you have to find the breeding spot for mold in your home.
- Health Problems – When you have health issues such as the blocked or runny nose, watery and itchy eyes, sneezing, sore throat, respiratory issues, and headaches, you have to find out the location of mold and get rid of it.
Where Can You Find Mold?
Mold requires a moist environment to grow. Therefore, the areas you can find it include:
- Around windows
- In the attics due to leaks
- Pipes and ductwork
- Heating and air conditioning system
- Basement and crawl spaces under the home
- Kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms
When you look critically at the areas listed above, you would find mold faster.
How to Deal With Mold in Your Home
If you find mold in an area that is not more than 10 square feet, you can clean up the mold yourself; otherwise, you should hire a professional for the clean-up. To get rid of mold in your house, here are the steps to follow.
- Wear household rubber gloves
- Wear Google and an N-95 respiratory
- Scrub mold-infected area with warm water and detergent
- For a severe problem, make a solution of a cup of bleach to a gallon of water to scrub the infected surface. Do not mix bleach with cleaning products that contain ammonia.
- Dry the area and eliminate any form of moisture
- Let the washed area be completely clean and dry before caulking or painting the surface